Exercise for teenagers is absolutely essential to stay healthy and build muscle. Here’s an easy upper body workout for teenagers at home without any equipment!
Before we start, you should note that a few muscles won’t get targeted in this upper body workout. Muscles like biceps and lats are extremely difficult to hit without equipment, so they’ll be left out.
However, there is some homemade DIY equipment to workout at home that you can use for other exercises. In this case though , we’ll be sticking to the bare minimum.
This is a simple 5-step exercise that will be done twice (minimum). You can skip to the end for the full summary of the workout, but I highly recommend you read through until the end to understand how to do the workouts properly!
Let’s dive into this upper body workout for teenagers…
Pushups are an excellent upper body workout for teenagers at home to target the chest muscles in the most efficient way possible.
Here’s how to do pushups properly:
- Get into a plank position (on all fours, body completely straight)
- Place your arms directly in line with your chest (a little more than shoulder width apart)
- Lower your body using only your arms (tucking your elbows close to your body)
- Go all the way down until there’s a tennis ball sized space between you and the floor
- Lift all the way back up (putting all your focus into using your chest muscles)
Do this 30 times. Make sure you’re actually focusing on doing pushups with the right form.
Otherwise, you’re just cheating yourself and that leads to terrible results (or potential injuries).
Try controlling your way down slowly to add some pressure and exploding on the way back up. It helps get a lot of blood flowing to your muscles.
Related Post: How to Get Fit as a Teenager
Dips are an excellent exercise for targeting your tricep muscles! Find a low bed frame, side of a couch, or even a chair to perform the exercise. Here’s how you do them:
- Place your hands behind you (shoulder width apart)
- Have your fingers point towards your body
- Legs flat out in front of you (heels touching the ground)
- Bring your body down as far as you can go
- Use the bend of your elbows to come back up
Do this 15 times. These burn so much, but that just means it’s working! If you think you can do more, do more.
The workout might be slightly more or slightly less effective depending on what you’re doing the dips on.
Your body doesn’t need to be completely flat like a plank. Let your butt relax because you’re still lifting the same amount of bodyweight.
Now keep that chair or whatever you’re using, because you’ll need it for the next upper body workout for teenagers at home…
Elevated Pike Pushups
Elevated pike pushups are a great way to workout your shoulders while you’re home. No you don’t need that bench, you can use anything to get your feet up. If you’ve never heard of them before, here’s how they’re done:
- Find a chair, bed, or side of a couch
- Place your toes on it while hanging off the side
- Put your hands in a pushup position (shoulder width)
- Make your torso as vertical as possible (bend your hips for this)
- You should be in a handstand position with your feet on the chair
- Do a push up straight below your head
- Come back up
Do this 10 times. It may be quite tricky to get down at first, so I recommend trying it before doing the whole workout. Use the picture above to get a better idea.
If it’s too hard for you to get to 10, just do your best. Eventually your muscles will get used to it. You really feel the burn in your shoulders when you do it right!
Related Post: Best Workout Gear for Teenage Guys
Supermans are exercises that build muscle in your lower back, upper back, shoulders, core, and a little bit of glutes.
They are called Supermans because the position for the workout looks like Superman when he’s flying. Here’s how to do them:
- Lay down on your stomach (preferably on a mat)
- Lift up your arms and legs up as high as you can
- Squeeze your back muscles
- Hold your position without lowering your arms and legs
- Your abdomen should be the only thing touching the ground
Do this for 30 seconds. You will definitely start to feel the burn! The workout is pretty self explanatory if you refer to the picture above.
If you feel like 30 seconds didn’t do anything for you, increase this time to a minute and make sure your form is actually correct.
Once you’ve finished your timer on the Superman workout, it’s time to go into a little cool down exercise…
Trap shrugs are easy upper body workouts for teenagers at home that require no equipment at all!
This exercise targets your trapezius muscle which extends from your neck, down to your shoulders. Having big traps can actually make you look a lot more muscular.
Here’s how to do the trap shrugs properly:
- Stand up straight
- Relax your shoulders completely
- Lift your shoulders all the way up and back (in one fluid motion)
- Squeeze at the top for at least 2 seconds
- Completely relax your shoulders back down
Do this 25 times. It doesn’t require much cardio, but it does burn and you should feel your trap muscles being activated.
You may have seen people do this exercise with weights, but it’s actually extremely effective even without a single piece of equipment. As long as you’re bringing your shoulders up in a 45 degree angle behind your head, you should feel the burn.
So let’s recap the whole workout…
Related Post: Easy Full Body Workout for Teenagers at Home
Full Upper Body Workout for Teenagers at Home
Now that you know how to do every workout properly, let’s make a quick summary list to help you follow the full workout:
- Pushups (30 times)
- Tricep Dips (15 times)
- Elevated Pike Pushups (10 times)
- Supermans (30 seconds)
- Trap Squeezes (25 times)
- Repeat Once! (minimum)
- Take 30 Second Rest Between Each Workout
There you have it! A simple 5-step workout to get your upper body in shape and start building muscle as a teen.
I recommend that you do this workout every other day once you start doing it consistently. It takes about 15 minutes to complete depending on how difficult these workouts are for you.
Keep in mind, if you’re looking to lose weight, this workout will help you get your muscles in shape, but diet is the main factor in losing weight effectively.
Keep your form in check and don’t cheat. You’re only harming your own progress! Push yourself to complete the workouts as best as you can. You got this!
If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions leave them down below. Thanks for reading!