Going to college soon? Here’s the ultimate college packing list for guys that you’ll ever need to be prepared for freshman year!
Before we start, you should note that I am indeed a guy, and have helped pack for college for myself, my girlfriend, and a study abroad semester.
Most of the packing lists for guys out there are not even created by guys! That’s why I had to make my own and show you what you ACTUALLY need to bring to college)
So when it comes to knowing what a guy needs to pack for college, I got your back!
If you don’t want to read through the list online, you can download the pdf version of the list below (and yes, it’s printable)!
I would still recommend reading through the post because there will be details provided on not only what to bring, but the quantity of each item as well.
Let’s get into it…
- Boxers – All
- Socks – All
- T-Shirts – At least 12
- Shorts – 3
- Long Sleeves – at least 3 (depends on weather near college)
- Button Ups – 3
- Jackets/Sweaters – 2 (depending on weather)
- Jeans/Chinos – All
- Dress Pants/Slacks – 2
- Workout Clothes – All
- Workout Shoes – 1
- Sandals/Slippers – 1
- Sneakers – 2
- Dress Shoes – 1
- Sleepwear – All
- Coat – 1
- Belt – 1
- Tie – 2
- Bathing Suit – 2
- Sweats/Joggers – 2
- Hat – 1
- Tank Tops – Depends heavily on weather
- Clothing Hangers – at least 30
- Foldable Laundry Basket – make sure you have one (here’s a link on amazon)
Try not to overdo the whole clothing thing. If you really need more of something than you expected, you can always have it sent over, come back, or buy it near your college.
Bathroom and Toiletries
- Portable Shower Caddy – To carry all your stuff to the bathroom (here’s a link on amazon) definitely get one that has a hanging hook to put on dorm showers
- Shampoo + Conditioner – 1 of each
- Face Wash – 1
- Moisturizer – 1
- Exfoliator – 1
- Body Wash/Soap – 1
- Hair Brush/Comb – 1
- Hair Product – 1
- Body Brush/Loofah – 1
- Toothbrush – 2
- Toothpaste – 2
- Floss – 1
- Cologne – Optional
- Chapstick – Optional
- Razors – All
- Shaving Cream – 2
- Grooming Shaver – All
- Shaving Chargers – All
- Nail Clippers – 1
- Tweezers – 1
- Lotion – 1
- Sunscreen – 1
- Q-Tips – 1 pack
- Deodorant – 2
- Condoms – 1 box
- Towel – 1
- Shower Sandals – 1 (Absolutely essential for dorm showers) any sandal you don’t care about works just as great
The quantity of each item really boils down to how quickly you’re going to finish using it. You don’t want to overpack on the very first move because toiletries are always repurchased, no matter where you’re living.
Order or shop for new items when they’re actually needed and not just to have extras all the time. Trust me, this saved so much space, time, and effort!
- Wallet – 1
- Keys – 1
- Sunglasses – 1
- Necklaces/Bracelets – optional
- Rings – optional
- Driver’s License – 1
- Passport – All
- Social Security Card – 1 (Yes, you need this with you!)
- Watch – Optional
- Cash – Between $200 and $500
- Student ID – 1
- Insurance Cards – All
- Bank Checks – All
- Car Documents – All (If bringing a car)
- Medical Cards – All
- International Students: Visa, Travel Documents, SIM Card
Consider getting a safe to store some of the more valuable things on this list and protect random people or roommates from stealing your stuff.
- Sheets – 2
- Mattress Topper – 1
- Pillow(s) – 1 or 2
- Pillow Cases – 1 or 2
- Duvet Covers – 1
- Blankets – 1 or 2 small ones for hanging out (optional)
- Comforter – 1
- Bed Risers – 1 Pack (Excellent for slightly lofting the bed to create extra storage underneath)
- Under Bed Boxes – 2 or 3 (Perfect for organized storage under your bed)
- Mattress Protector – 1
- Planner – 1 (Essential for keeping track for classes, homework, and other daily tasks)
- Notebooks – 2
- Pens – At least 5
- Pencils – At least 2
- Pencil Case – 1
- Highlighter – 2
- Loose-Leaf Paper – 1 Pack
- Binder/Folder – 1 (might need more depending on professor)
- Stapler + Staples – 1
- Ruler – 1
- Index Cards/Sticky Notes – 1 Pack
- Scissors – 1
- Backpack – 1
- Calculator – Optional depending on major
- Tape – 1 Roll
- Laptop – 1
- Hardshell Laptop Case – 1
- Laptop Charger – 1
- Phone Charger – 1 (6ft or more if possible)
- Flash Drive – 1
- Surge Protector – 1 (Also called a power strip)
- Headphones – 1
- Headphone Adapter – 1
- Mouse + Pad – 1 of each
- Extension Cord – 1
- Other Computer Cables – Optional
Surge protectors (or power strips) will save your life in a college dorm room. You can even talk with your roommate to see if they’d like to share the cost of one with you. Here’s a link on amazon.
- Small Dish Soap – 1 Bottle
- Plate – 1
- Bowl – 1
- Utensils – 2 of each
- Cup/Mug – 2
- Snacks – Always have on hand when moving in
- Tupperware – 2 (Great for meal prepping)
- Ziplock Bags – 1 Pack (Quart sized)
There are a lot of questions asked about whether or not you should bring real dishes or disposable ones.
I recommend bringing real dishes and MAYBE (just maybe) disposable utensils if anything. It will get you in the habit of washing your dishes when you need to, which is a great training for when you move into an apartment.
The quantity is also very low for each item because of that same reason. You don’t need to overpack things like this and disposable stuff will eat your money away.
- Personal Meds – Optional/Varies
- Inhaler – If you need it
- Med Kit – Absolutely crucial
- Eye Drops – 1 Bottle (You know what for)
- Benadryl or Claritin – 1 Bottle
- Advil or Motrin – 1 Bottle
This is a realistic college packing list for guys. You’re going to need a med kit in the room. Make sure you let your roommate(s) know where it is in case of an emergency.
The last 2 medicine options are up to you, but I highly recommend grabbing 1 of each to treat basic symptoms such as headaches, nausea, and simple colds.
- Laundry Detergent – 1 (Most college dorms don’t allow capsules/pods)
- Fabric Softener – 1
- Dryer Sheets – 1 Box
- All Purpose Cleaner/Wipes – 1 Pack/Bottle
- Duster – 1
- Small Trash Bags – 1 Box
Most dorms include vacuums that are accessible to everyone in the building. If your dorm has wood flooring, consider getting a Swiffer or other wet floor cleaner.
Small trash bags are also crucial for replacing a small trash bin in your room.
- Microwave – 1
- Toaster – 1
- Mini Fridge – 1
- Fan – 1
- Blender – 1
- Utensils/Dishes – Optional
- Coffee Maker – 1
- Tissues – 2 Boxes
- Paper Towels – 1 Pack
- Brita Water Filter – 1 (DO NOT leave this behind) Here’s a link on amazon to find one
Depending on where you’re moving, you might need some of these shared items more than others. Please discuss with roommates about what you guys are willing to share and not willing to share before moving in.
Save yourself the hassle of being upset when your items are being used by other roommates and have the discussion beforehand. It’ll save you a lot of money too!
- Umbrella – 1
- Dorm Decor – Optional (things like posters, art, etc.)
- Luggage – 1 Carry-on
- Gym Bag – 1
- Workout Gloves/Belt – Optional
- Storage Drawers – 1 Set (Great for extra storage in your dorm room)
- Hook Hangers for Wall – Pack of 3 (Perfect for hanging towels, keys, etc.)
A lot of these items listed are optional and you shouldn’t overpack. However I am a strong believer in making your dorm life much easier.
Consider grabbing these before heading off to college.
Download the Full College Packing List for Guys Printable PDF
That’s it! Hopefully this college packing list for guys has shown you what you actually need to pack to college and the quantity of everything as well.
Obviously a few things will change based on where you’re going, your personal preferences, and what you value bringing with you. With all that being said, this should still be a useful guideline to follow!
If you have any comment, questions, or suggestions leave them down below. Thanks for reading!